Ive mentioned time and time again ‘clean’ eating and that I’m reeling the snack monster within me in as I train for my next competition. Plenty of you have asked what that means, so I figured I’d share with you a list of ‘clean foods’ that was given to me by my nutritionist. Mind you, as I near competition date, the list of foods that I can eat gets extremely limited, but this my basic guide to remaining healthy and in shape year round:
85 % of your nutrition should come from A list foods. The other 15% should come from the B list of foods. All these foods should be unprocessed:
A: chicken/turkey breast–skinless, extra lean ground turkey/hamburger, 1% cottage cheese (FF has too much Na+), protein powder (pp), egg whites, tuna, tilapia, haddock, cod, shrimp, scallops, lobster and game meats such as bison, buffalo and venison.
B: Eye of round, flank steak, yogurt (non processed, preferably organic or Greek), egg yolks (no more than 1 per meal), skinless dark meat—poultry.
A: Lentils, Beans—all (kidney, red, black, lima, cannelini) , Sweet Potatoes, White Potatoes, Red Potatoes, Barley, Quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal-slow cooked, shredded wheat—real.
B: 100% whole grain anything (bread, pasta, cereal, waffles, etc.), Brown rice in a bag, oatmeal packets (unsw.), Oroweat 100% WW bread, oat bran/whole wheat tortillas or wraps, brown rice pilaf, wheat pilaf, couscous.
*Bet you’re surprised to see beans as a carb. Yep, once your body digests them and breaks them down, the macronutrient breakdown of them is mostly carbohydrates*
FRUITS & VEGGIES are all A list! Which means they can and should be eaten with pleasure and frequency. Again, near competition time some get cut out due to sugar content, but I dare you to find a fruit or veg that is not good for you!
I’m one of those people that has always loved fruits and vegetables but I understand why some people don’t. I think the issue is seasonality and availability. And Melissa’s Produce which happens to be one of the largest produce distributors in the country is addressing both those problems by providing seasonal fresh fruit and vegetable options to super markets across the country.
These 2 good eggs were thoughtful enough to introduce me to Melissa’s and through this introduction I learned that Melissa’s not only provides non-GMO products to their supermarkets, but that their staff also retains a Rainman-like knowledge of every single produce factoid known to man!
Thanks to Melissa’s, I’m able to do this giveaway that will help encourage you to try new fruits and vegetables and to live a healthier lifestyle: