- 1 Lb Stewing Beef
- 1 Lb Beef with Bones (ox tail, short rib are good choices)
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast
- 2 green plantains
- 1 lb of cassava or yuca*
- 1 lb of white yam*
- 1 lb of eddoes or yautia*
- 1/2 lb of potatoes
- 1/2 of an Acorn Squash, peeled
- 1/2 C Onion, Chopped
- 1/2 C Green Pepper, Chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Crushed (use fresh garlic)
- Small bunch of coriander or cilantro
- 2 large naranja agria (sour oranges)
- 'sopita' aka chicken boullion to taste
- 4 Quarts of Water
- Cut meat into 1 to 2 inch chunks
- Toss all meat in a large bowl with the juice of 2 sour oranges (naranja agria), onions, green pepper and garlic and set aside to marinate
- Cut all vegetables to 1 inch chunks and set aside
- In a large pot, pour a little oil and sear all of the meat
- Once you get the meat evenly browned, add onions, peppers and garlic.
- Cook meat and aromatics until they start to sweat.
- Add half of water and 1 chicken bouillon and cover.
- Cook meat over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add all of the chopped vegetables and remaining water along with another chicken bouillon and a handful of cilantro/coriander leaves, stir and cover.
- Stir sancocho every 15 to 20 min and add more water as needed.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until all vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe feeds an army - left overs store very well in the fridge or freezer. OR cut the recipe down by half :-)
Recipe by VIANESSA at http://vianessa.com/blog1/2012/12/20/sancocho/