The holiday season is here, which means a lot of over-indulgence, holiday parties and crunch time at work (hurray for burning through filming budgets at the end of the year!). Although it doesn’t happen often, I do like it when I have the opportunity to mix business with pleasure . . . who am I kidding, it happens quite often in my line of work! One of the most recent events I went to was the grand opening of Hot 8 Yoga in Beverly Hills; I discovered them at their original location in Santa Monica where I took my first ever hot ballet barre class. It was killer. I loved it.
The grand opening event featured a ribbon cutting ceremony by the mayor of Beverly Hills and was done in conjuction with their holiday party; that meant an open bar and arts and crafts in the form of ornament making! Included on the guest list was a tarot card reader who had less than stellar things to say about my non-existant love life -_-
You might be wondering what the benefits of doing yoga or sculpting in a heated room are, well, here ya go:
- Increased cardiovascular activity which helps burn fat and up your metabolism.
- Flush toxins out of your body.
- Superficial soft tissue structures, including the fascia, ligaments, muscles and tendons will warm up quickly and allow you to move further, more comfortably and more safely in all directions than while exercising in a cooler environment.
- Improved spinal integrity and nervous system function.
- The heat thins down the blood and allows it to perfuse deeply into body tissues and organs to facilitate healing.
I’m accustomed to lifting heavy weights, so imagine my surprise after feeling completely exhausted by the use of 2 lb weights! I definitely plan on going back for more.
Side note: Hot 8 is offering a $45 for 1 month of classes special. Check them out if you’re in the area!